Why train with Excalibur?
- The training programme is led by one of the county’s most successful schools, St John’s Marlborough, in partnership with Excalibur Academies Trust schools, and a network of other schools in the area.
- Our provider is Bath Spa University, rated Outstanding for the overall effectiveness of its education provision. The PGCE Secondary programme consists of seamless training both at the University and in school. There are two assessed phases in school – one lasting seven weeks, and the other lasting 14 weeks. Prior to these are University sessions involving subject pedagogies and knowledge which link to schools through direct classroom sessions. The Professional Studies programme dovetails both school and University training.
- The Bath Spa/ Excalibur Professional Studies programme is at the core of the PGCE Secondary programme, which integrates both University and partnership training. At the heart of the programme is the notion of the teacher as a reflective practitioner. The course nurtures and develops a reflective approach to teaching and learning, and encourages students to take a critical stance in their work.
- All our students have highly experienced mentors, both at university and in school.
- We offer students the opportunity of a placement in a much sought after school.
- There are employment and promotion opportunities within the Trust.
- Schools are in an excellent geographic location, close to the M4 corridor and surrounded by areas of outstanding natural beauty.
I feel that through a supportive mentor scheme, I have been able to develop my teaching in a practical manner; planning, delivering and reflecting on lessons to build on my practice. By the end of my placement here I feel like a valued member of the department which is very much appreciated. – Tom P
I was instantly made to feel not just welcome, but a member of staff – PGCE student 1718
The support network is great and I know I will always have someone I can approach if I need help – PGCE student 1718
Really friendly and approachable people – PGCE student 1718
Thoughtful and useful induction process and information – PGCE student 1718
My questions and concerns were answered before I had even thought to ask – PGCE student 1718