The Phonics Programme: September 2017 to July 2019
- Promoting phonics mastery and closing the gap in the South West.
- A whole school development opportunity, supported by the DfE, aimed at improving the mastery of Phonics in KS1.
- The Phonics Programme aims to improve primary pupils’ mastery of basic phonic knowledge to develop speed and fluency so that children become confident, mature readers with a passion for reading.
- Schools in the programme will develop a high level of expertise through training 54 Phonics Champion Teachers and 54 Phonics Champion Teaching Assistants.
- Training modules and resources will be made available to schools from outside the programme.
- The focus of the project will be primarily on schools in the Wiltshire, Swindon, Bristol and South Gloucestershire regions.
- Expertise from partners will be used to develop 5 hubs from which a high-quality programme of support will be delivered.