The Phonics Programme: September 2017 to July 2019
- Promoting phonics mastery and closing the gap in the South West.
- A whole school development opportunity, supported by the DfE, aimed at improving the mastery of Phonics in KS1.
- The Phonics Programme aims to improve primary pupils’ mastery of basic phonic knowledge to develop speed and fluency so that children become confident, mature readers with a passion for reading.
- Schools in the programme are developing a high level of expertise from their 52 Phonics Champion Teachers and 52 Phonics Champion Teaching Assistants trained by the Phonics Programme
- The focus of the project has been primarily on schools in the Wiltshire, Swindon, Bristol and South Gloucestershire regions.
- Expertise from partners has been used to develop five hubs from which a high-quality programme of support is being delivered.